Monday, October 27, 2008

Chapter three

I was hoping to finish the second draft of chapter three today, but fell short of that goal. That chapter is much more complex than I anticipated. Well, to begin with, I had to introduce two main characters, establish the rules of the world they’re living in and give enough info about it so everything is clear without being boring, or tedious—and all this while my protagonists are investigating a crime. (Deep breath.) On the bright side, it’s very exciting because most of the pieces of the puzzle (and there are a lot of them) are neatly falling into place. So the only real thing I had trouble with today was punctuation. For some obscure reason, the quote and question marks have suddenly decided to trade places on my keyboard. Needless to say it annoys me to no end.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Nathalie
Although I am very happy that you are doing well with your new novel, I would like some comment on King’s daughter. I have been waiting for this book for quite a while and now we are nearing the end of October. Do you have any idea when it will be finally released? Quite frankly with all the problems that Night Shade have been having lately, with all their publications and not just yours, may be it is time to change publisher. On a related topic, you can call me a snob, but I would love to have your books in hard cover and may be another publisher will do that.

Nathalie Mallet said...

Thanks for your patience. I’ll probably see Night Shade’s head honcho this weekend at WFC, so I should have some fresh news to report later. And I guess we’re both snobs, because I love hardcovers too. However, with the economy the way it is right now, mass market books are a safer bet. ;)